General Health Community
What does it mean to have Pneumonia and no cough or congestion at all? ...

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

What does it mean to have Pneumonia and no cough or congestion at all?

I was diagnosed with Pneumonia, following flu last week. I have no health problems prior. I am wondering what it might mean, that I have absolutley no cough or congestion. I can feel pain pretty bad especially when I breathe in. I have had high fevers, chills, and all but NO cough and NO phlegm whatsoever. The Pneumonia was diagnosed on a chest xray. Does it mean anything if I simply do not cough and have no desire to? Doesn't that infection have to come out somehow? Or can it just be that the pneumonia is only causing inflammation with no phlegm? I have been sick for 2 + weeks, and started antibiotics about a week after the onset of the chest pain, when I spiked 103 fever and chills, rapid heart rate.

Cough and/or coughing up phlegm are symptoms you may not necessarily have.  The definitive diagnosis of pneumonia is based on chest xray with combination of symptoms.  So, your situation is possible.  I remember I had pneumonia as a child with the only symptom of vomiting.  My mother took me to the hospital and a diagnosis of pneumonia was made based on my chest xray.  
I went to the doctor 3 days ago after having shortness in breath and chest pain with rapid heartbeat, nothing else no cough, high fever or sneezing. But I did get a horrible cough a month and half prior. I didn't go see a doctor and rode it till cugh went away by itself . BIG MISTAKE. The doctor took an xray and diagnosed me with pneumonia. I was given antibiotics and inhaler and told that I should start coughing up stuff in a couple of days, today is day# 3 I'm not coughing at all but the pain and discomfort with shortness in breath is unbelievable. now I feel like I have a ton of weight on my chest with pain I feel like I'm being chocked, still waiting to start coughing something out... The weird thing is that I get the chills but no high fever. I'm scared and not sure what to expect :-(  
once they start with antibiotics and steroids you should get a cough and start coughing up mucus
Breathing in hot vapors should help bring some of that stuff up.  Fill the sink with hot water, put a towel over your head and breathe in the hot/warm vapors.  Also if you have a vaporizer, put it in your bedroom next to your bed.  Should make you cough soon. - If you have a friend or someone with you, have him/her cup their hands and pound your back while you bend over or lie face down on the bed with your head and shoulders hanging off the side of the bed. (called percussion).  It loosens phlegm and helps you to bring it up and out.  - Good health to you.