General Health Community
What is hospital admission power of attorney?

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

When I was admitted to the hospital, one of the many forms they wanted me to sign was something about giving them "power of attorney". Thinking that meant I was signing over all decision making to them, I refused to sign it.

Did the POA mean what I think it meant? Or is it dumb to refuse to sign it?

Sorry of this posted in the wrong area!

They have the forms at the hospital. It's really a smart thing to have filled out and a copy kept in a safe place in case something ever happened to you they would know what your wishes were and who (family or friend) you put in charge of your health care decisions should you not be able to make those choices yourself. I would at least ask for the power of attorney form and read thru it. It will make sense to you why it's a good idea.
There are forms we give out to allow you to choose a power of attorney to represent you if you desire, but not to give the hospital power of attorney.  read the forms carefully.
Avatar dr f tn
Medical Power of Attorney is basically declaring what your end of life wishes are, or what you would/would not want done to you in the event that you are unable to express your wishes. It also allows you to name the person who you would want to make decisions for you in the event that you are unable to decide for yourself.
Oh, OK.

The admission papers wanted me to give the HOSPITAL power of attorney. I was like hell no! :D

I have someone in mind...I'll pick some up tomorrow.