General Health Community
Wheezing with clear X-ray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Wheezing with clear X-ray

Hi. To make this short, I've been sickly for a few months now. I have recently added wheezing in my chest when I breathe to my symptoms. It doesn't happen all the time just several times thru out the day. My doctor sad my lungs sound clear a he did a chest X-ray which he said looked okay also. My question is- the wheezing is very obviously there though... Something has to be causing it. But with a clear X-ray I'm confused. Could it be allergies or do you Gus hve any other ideas??
?
Hi there and welcome, you don't mention what age you are and if you smoke or have smoked.  Has your environment changed in past few months ie, different house,different heat or air con,does it happen at certain times of the day,is at worse morning or night? Does anything calm it down? Does it happen while outside also?  Sorry just trying to get an idea of what could cause it.
Wheezing occurs when there is a narrowing of the bronchial airways, due to bronchoconstiction.  Bronchoconstiction is when the muscles around your airways tighten therefore narrowing the size.  This is called asthma basically.  Your asthma may be seasonal like you mentioned.  Asthma does not show up on an X Ray unless it is a severe status Asthmaticus and you are basically in such a serious bronchospasm that the lung cannot take in enough air to diffuse oxygen into the blood stream and ventilate CO2 out..

Some people have very serios asthma and do not present with any wheezing which doctors who are not keeping up with medical journal will misdiagnose.

The only way to diagnose asthma is with a Pulmonary Function Test done by a Respiratory therapist which I happen to be.  Also A methacholine challenge test will tell how hypersensitive your lungs are.

Medication like ventolin can be prescribed along with an inhaled MDI corticosteroid.  If your sypmtoms cause you shortness of breath /dyspnea.
I was tested for asthma and they said I don't have it? Also I am 24 and used to smoke but stopped about 3 months ago. I smoked for about a year. Nothing had changed besides the fact that I've been very sickly for the past few months. Been to countless specialists and no one can figure out my problem. Right now my ear is so congested its causing a horrid pain that goes all the way down neck and into shoulder and I can't hear at all out of it. Don't know if tho is connected at all...
Also the wheezing is down in my chest like under breast area so I'm thinking its more lungs and not airways
Some google thoughts on Wheezing with clear Xrays: Just for ideas :

Many conditions cause wheezing.. some of the most common and most detrimental causes of wheezing.  

Upper Respiratory Congestion
We have all experienced congestion in our upper airway due to colds, allergies, and other conditions. The post-nasal drip that accompanies congestion is the single most common condition that causes wheezing during exercise. Mucus from the nasal cavity drains and accumulates in the area around the vocal cords, which becomes the site of relative obstruction. Recent nasal congestion, post-nasal drip, coughing that is independent of activity and becomes worse when laying on one’s back, and a relative lack of shortness of breath are often found on history.

On examination, a physician may find an inflamed nose, mucus in the throat, tender sinuses, and clear lungs. No further testing is needed unless the condition is recurrent. In that case, congestion may be caused by blockage to normal drainage by structures such as a nasal polyp, which may require surgical resection. If the symptoms occur at a particular time of the year, seasonal allergies are the possible cause, and testing for specific allergies may be indicated. For normal cases, regularly removing the offending irritant with saline rinses is the most beneficial intervention. Nasal steroids, expectorants, decongestants, antihistamines, and, in severe cases, antibiotics are all additional choices for treatment.
Hmm. I've tried most of those things but will keep in mind, thank you !