been coughing up black coffee grounds for a few years, no help from doctors
so I've been coughing up black coffee grounds for a few years, I've seen at least 5+different doctors that have not been any help, the only thing 1 doctor told me was to try to stop smoking,I've smoked cigs since I was 17,so I quit cigs for 6 months with no change and saw the doctor again and he wasn't able to tell me anything.I cough the stuff up at least   10 times every  18 mins, sometimes more. Does anyone else experience this?Also can anyone provide insight to this?
i have. eversince i quit smoking..about 4 weeks ago. mine are mostly brown specs..not as dark. and it only happens in the morning. the amont is smalled. Doctor says its normal when you quit smoking but i have heard other people say that it happened to them even when they were smoking
also other people has advised that it could be GERD... acid reflux
just like you said the doctor just give you a lot of maybes...a lot of it could be...
what tests did they give you? i got blood work done and spirometry. all normal

My husband coughed up brown yucky stuff for years after he quit smoking.  It was the tar and nicotine that was in his lungs.  His body was trying to clear it out.  It took years of coughing up this junk!  Nothing like seeing a yucky brown smile first thing in the morning! Yuck!
Please see this reference I found,... I have heard of this being a result of a major Liver problem... Im sorry. DEB http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=coughing%20up%20what%20looks%20like%20coffee%20grounds&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medhelp.org%2Fposts%2FLiver-Disorders%2FCoughing-up-what-looks-like-coffee-grounds%2Fshow%2F1592563&ei=cYIVUd_xH-qpiQKY3YDwDA&usg=AFQjCNF6Bhb6ycPu_tglT6o9w0CWLr5JVQ
Paradox, best have it checked. In my case it was not liver for sure...i was checked and have normal liver functin, doctor insured me it was the tar and tabacoo.
i suggest you quitt smoking. i know how hard it is. i have quitt recently and i am still struggeling but we can do it we can beat the adiction

best of luck to you
sandy