General Health Community
diaphragm spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

diaphragm spasms

I'm looking for help/info on a diaphragm spasm--one that starts at my back at the ribs and quickly progresses to a completely spastic diaphragm; it cuts off my breathing, is very painful, and needless to say, scares me (not to mention my husband) out of my wits.  A blue face is just not my color.  Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Being tired and cold will definitely set it off.
Do you have a hiatal hernia?  I have read that some folks that do have one have the same symptoms that you have mentioned.Yes, it is very painful, and some even say it is like a heart attack. Have you seen a doctor regarding this?

I would like to suggest a visit to the chiropractor too. You see, I have one of these, and he adjusts my back in that area and also pulls down on the hernia itself, afterwards, I feel so much better. Also, if possible, maybe a nice, therapeutic massage might help to relax those areas before a spasm starts up again.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am not aware that I have a hiatal hernia; however, I have noticed reflux for some time--maybe that's what it is.  My doctor had no idea of what could be causing the spasms; I will certainly mention it to my chiropractor!
Hi, I have diaphramatic spasms.  They feel like a tight ring about my chest about the level of my bra band.  As a result I have restrictive lung disease which now has affected my heart.  So, I have heart failure and pulmonary hypertension.  There is no cure for mine.  I take neurontin for them, which helps the most.  I also take baclofen, but it does nothing for them.  It helps with other spasms.  I have a spinal cord injury.
my husband had  a knee replacment . had a spinal  and after that started getting diaphragm spams, he is on baclofen. seens to help . but every once in the day he gets then back. wonder if spinal cause this. he never have this befor
How are your bowl movements? If you suffer from iregular bowel movements, you would be surprised how much that can effect the rest of your body. Also check into ulcers. Depending on location in the body, thay can mimic many other problems.
Good Luck