General Health Community
fatigue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

fatigue

I just got my last blood work results regarding my thyroid.  This time I did not require med adjustement.  Yet, I still feel very tired.  I cannot get through my day without having to nap it out.  If I go about my normal chores, it draines the life out of me.  Shopping seems to be very hard, a trip to the grocer and back and I need to rest it out  with an hour or more nap time.  In the past I have been anemic, they removed my uterus to regulate that in 2004, last april I underwent major surgery, I had a clementine size tumor in my colon, fortunately I did not need any chemo since it was not at an advanced stage.  My last biopsy was last march which turned out good.   Why am I having so much trouble getting my full energy back.  
I am sorry fatigue is really debilitating isnt it, I am thinking you may get some better answers if you pout this onto the Expert /Doctor forum take a look we have several .
There are three major causes of fatigue. There are also a host other possibilities. Thyroid malfunction is one of these. Bear in mind that the TSH measured takes a few weeks to adjust to medication. Assuming your TSH is within normal limits, you need to have your hematcrit taken. A low hematocrit will cause fatigue. The third most common cause is an insulin utilization syndrome - you have a blood sugar problem. You need a test called an A1C and your blood sugar tested.  Get yourself a home meter and take it yourself. Assuming all three pathways lead nowhere, you need a professional evaluation. While cancer is not usually the cause, some malignancies stimulate production of hormone-like signaling substances that cause extreme sleepiness. The tumor in the colon could be the cause of the fatigue. If this is the case consult an oncologist for a treatment recommendation.