fluid in sparained ankle
hi, i am a 22 year old female. 5 days ago i was jogging at a slow pace and turned and i sprained my ankle. it hurt alot but by day 2 i have been having less and less pain i can move my foot around, forward and back, side to side etc. painlessly.when i walk is the only time it hurts a bit.everyday my foot has lessened the swelling but i have felt when i walk like fluid move inside on the top side of my foot.2 days ago that went down since i have had my foot raised on a pillow the only part that remains swollen is on the ankle itself ,but as soon as i stand or walk for about 5 minutes the top side of my foot looks like swollen again like it has fluid inside.but the strange thing is that when i raise my foot for 5 minutes it goes back down and the area is flat and normal again. is that normal?? are they gonna have to drain it?? what should i do???
The easiest way to describe why the fluid is there to start with is that it is an accumulation of fluid within the ankle joint or in the tissues surrounding the injury area.   The fluid makes the joints stiff so you won't or can't move the area very much, kind of like a  cushion to prevent further damage and allow time for healing.    

What is happening is when you stand, your foot is down and the fluid in your ankle is traveling to your foot via gravity.  When you prop your foot up the fluid travels downward again to the ankle because it is now positioned lower than the foot.  Eventually, when the area is completely healed, your body will absorb the fluid and the problem should be gone.      I hope this helped answer your questions. Have a Wonderful Night!