General Health Community
foot sprain or broken

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

foot sprain or broken

my girl friend slipped on the stairs a month ago and her foot swelled up. not having health care she didnt go to the doctors. ITS been a month the swelling did go down not its swelled up again, it dos not hurt hear to walk on it but it is swollen on the top and black and blue on the side. she says its slightly num were its black and blue. went to a coroparctor friend and he did a xray and didnt show any thing. could this be a break or is it a sprain, also is it dangerous to let it go this long.
My 1st brother hurt his foot wen he was doing lessons in defending himself he couldn't walk on it for 6 weeks it took him 6 weeks to recover.

Now my other brother hurt his foot during football training a week ago he couldn't walk on it, it is still swollen though but the bruising has gone down the hospital said it'd take 2 weeks for him to recover but he has got a lump there so it will take him 3-4 weeks or maybe longer to get better. He didn't break his ankle n neither did my 1st brother they both had x-rays.

Well it depends on how bad the injury to her foot is, usually it'd take between 2-4 weeks , 4-6 weeks, 8-12 weeks or even 6 months for the injury to get better. Since the xray hasn't shown anything she's not broken it she's sprained it so it'll take her 4-8 weeks to recover. The black n blue was just the bruising coming out so that wasn't anything to worry about really. It's not dangerous as it's not broken it's just sprained.

It takes a long time for a sprain to heal. They usually hurt more than a break also. I sprained both my ankles twice each growing up. The swelling and bruising can be quite impressive and painful. Tell her to listen to her ankle and take it easy. If it is not getting better shevreally should see someone to make sure she hasn't torn an important ligament or tendon. They can take a lot of time to heal and in some cases physical therapy. If not taken care of properly it can actually make things worse and cost more in the long run. Just be careful trying to save money by not seeing a doctor sometimes it backfires. Trust me, I have been there.