General Health Community
ganglion cyst on underside of wrist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

ganglion cyst on underside of wrist

My husband has a very large ganglion cyst on the palm side of the wrist. He has had fluid removed with cortizone injected a couple of times. The cyst keeps getting larger. It is on his right wrist and we are worried about complications of doing surgery such as accidental damage to the radial nerve or scar tissue formation. What are the pros and cons of not doing surgery and doing surgery? He is also my caregiver and it will be hard for us if he has surgery too. I would like to hear anyone's opinion especially if you have had the surgery done or had a sucessful fluid removal where it didn't come back. Can the cyst attach to the nerve? Our GP was talking about that as a problem (not that he has it yet).
thanks,
mkh9
The oldest way of getting rid of a ganglion is to hit it with a big book, it breaks it up and it goes away, its that easy., Just google it and find out.
Good Luck
Yes I know about that. However, it is near the radial artery and a nerve so I don't think that is a good idea. If it was the back of the hand I would say maybe.
thanks for the response.
mkh9
I would be interested in this information as well - I have the same thing - it is about the size of a large marble.  
My husband is going to go in when he has time. If he does I'll write back. But, he went several times and had the fluid removed. It sounds like it will require about 12 stiches and a couple of weeks recovery. You can't use that hand for a couple of weeks. It is pretty effective surgery but sometimes it comes back if they don't get the stalk out. I'm still also waiting for someone to reply on this regarding the nerve and artery and any other complications.
Well, he will probably have to go in to see.
mkh9