gaping wound care.
My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic type 1.She had this disease for 16 years.
This is the third day since she had a low of 1.7 and collapsed on a tiled floor.We live in Sydney Australia.
She tore a wound 8 inches long , at its maximum with it was about 1.1/2 wide.
Before the paramedics came I pulled it together neatly and kept it closed with surgical tape. However, when they arrived, they left it open put a patch on it and a splint and I drove her to the local hospital emergency dept. It was 8 hours waiting before they saw us and she had x-rays and was found to have a broken wrist in two places. About 18 hours later she was operated on to set her wrist and de-bridle the wound and suture it. She left the hospital,at their request several hours later. When she left ther was blood oozing out of the cast(the wound was beneath the elbow towards the wrist). The blood is still oozing out  a few days later. There are several things I am concerned about:-
1) They left the wound uncovered in the hospital.
2) the instructions from them are to come back in 2 weeks!
3) the wound should be inspected, don't you think a few days later and redressed. She has no temperature but the arm is swollen and bruised and is
getting tight beneath the cast.
This is the question. As the emergency centre takes 6-8 hours to attend to anyone should I wait till tomorrow when I can see my own doctor? No doctors work weekends or evenings here.
Thank you frank.
Is the wound still bleeding?

My concern would be the bleeding and the arm is swelling to the point where it is too tight in the cast.  

In any case, RETURN BACK TO EMERGENT CARE/SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION TODAY.  
Another thing to do in the future.  Ice all wounds.  Make sure they are cleaned first.  Then, ice them.  This works for all people.  Ice slows the blood flow and stops it most cases.  I am speaking from experience as a mother and a past child care provider.  Ice also keeps swelling down.  I hope your wife feels better soon.
I know that this will reach you a bit on the late side, but here I go anyway.  Yes, ice the are the best you can and seek medical attention right away.  The fact that her arm is swelling so the cast is quite tight is not a good thing, and may lead to further tissue damage that you cannot see.  Hope you've gotten this taken care of before you get this.  Best wishes to you and your wife.  Take care.