General Health Community
general health

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

general health

i need surgery to remove a large non  cancer polype in my  colon.. im   very scared. it will be done laproscopic..  can I go home the same day?
That's great news that's it's non cancerous. You may be able to come home the same day. That will be your Drs decision.   Remar
Hello. I am a RN.  Having any kind of surgery can be scary.  I have had 31 surgeries in my lifetime, and #32 is scheduled for Dec. 6th, some laproscopic, some not. I am 46 years old.  I have been scared too before every surgery, and it is not uncommon.  I know each and every surgery I have had has been needed to keep me healthy, and alive.  

It is absolutely wonderful that the polyp they are removing is non cancerous and that you aren't lingering on getting it taken care. Laproscopic surgery is relatively easy to recuperate from, and you should be up and doing well after 24 hours or so, with very minimal discomfort.  It is very likely you will go home the same day, but that will depend on your doctor.    

The main thing to remember with laproscopic surgery is the gas that they use to visualize the organs can have a tendency to settle in your shoulder/chest area the day you get home, and is more uncomfortable than the surgery itself.   Your body generally expels or absorbs it within 24-48 hours.

The way to prevent this is to NOT lay flat, use at least 3 pillows under your head and shoulders, or sit up in a recliner etc. and the gas won't settle in your chest and shoulders.  LOL I learned the hard way after my 1st laproscopic surgery and rolled off the couch because of it settling in my chest.  So I thought I'd pass this trick along to you so you won't have to deal with that happening at all to you.  I never had any other issues with the gas settling in my shoulders/chest after that 1st surgery and I figure this out this little trick.    I Hope This Helps.  You'll be up and going in no time.