Aa
A
A
Close
getting a GP referral
Hi, I live in the UK and saw my GP a week ago (last Monday) asking to be referred to a consultant surgeon in London Guys Hospital. I'd spoken to the dpt. in this hospital where I went as a child and they said they said as far as waiting lists are concerned, they can make an appointment straight away but they need a GP referral. But my GP wanted to refer me to the hospital here in this town and was reluctant to refer me to the London hospital.

But I said this is what I wanted. This is where I went as a child. I trust it more. She was reluctant saying it wasn't in this area etc, but didn't actually say "No". And she took the details of this hospital. I asked how would a consultation appointment be made. Will I get a phone call or what. she said by posting me a letter. Anyway she was like "anything else?" and I was like "I'm ok thanks" and she looked at me funny as I left. I may switch GPs in the future but thats a separate point.

What I want to know is how long does a GP referral take. It's been a week and no post / appointment. I've put my life on hold and cant get a new job until after this is sorted. It would be ridiculous for me to try getting a job and after, say, 2 weeks be like, oh by the way sorry I've got to take time off now for an operation. I want to get it sorted, get it done, get a job. My life is on hold for this.

Has anyone else had any experience how long GP referrals take?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
363281 tn?1353103243
Well, in the US, there is not a long wait, at least yet, that might change later. I have had referrals for heart tests and such, and I got the call for the appointment almost immediately, I can't recall anyone I know having to wait too long.

I would keep contacting the GP, maybe this will speed things up.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources