getting a GP referral
Hi, I live in the UK and saw my GP a week ago (last Monday) asking to be referred to a consultant surgeon in London Guys Hospital. I'd spoken to the dpt. in this hospital where I went as a child and they said they said as far as waiting lists are concerned, they can make an appointment straight away but they need a GP referral. But my GP wanted to refer me to the hospital here in this town and was reluctant to refer me to the London hospital.

But I said this is what I wanted. This is where I went as a child. I trust it more. She was reluctant saying it wasn't in this area etc, but didn't actually say "No". And she took the details of this hospital. I asked how would a consultation appointment be made. Will I get a phone call or what. she said by posting me a letter. Anyway she was like "anything else?" and I was like "I'm ok thanks" and she looked at me funny as I left. I may switch GPs in the future but thats a separate point.

What I want to know is how long does a GP referral take. It's been a week and no post / appointment. I've put my life on hold and cant get a new job until after this is sorted. It would be ridiculous for me to try getting a job and after, say, 2 weeks be like, oh by the way sorry I've got to take time off now for an operation. I want to get it sorted, get it done, get a job. My life is on hold for this.

Has anyone else had any experience how long GP referrals take?
Well, in the US, there is not a long wait, at least yet, that might change later. I have had referrals for heart tests and such, and I got the call for the appointment almost immediately, I can't recall anyone I know having to wait too long.

I would keep contacting the GP, maybe this will speed things up.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.