General Health Community
getting rid of walking pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

getting rid of walking pneumonia

I had walking pneumonia four months ago. Now I have it again.  I don't know why I have it again.  Last time I had it I threw all of my cosmetics, tooth brushes, toiletries away because I was afraid I was re-infecting myself.  I bought all new make up when I got better, should I throw it all away again to avoid reinfection?
Are you a smoker?  Allergies?  Asthma?  

Anyways, please consult a physician, preferably a Pulmonologist.  
Hi and sorry you are ill. I have had this too. Usually, it is more common to get "walking pneumonia" or bronchitis after having a viral infection like the flu. I don't think you are reinfecting yourself. Did you have a virus recently? Also, usually walking pneumo is caused by a bacteria , mycoplama or chlamydia pneumonia. Did you get any antibiotics for it the first time? If not perhaps the bacteria was lingering and when you got overtired or ill you got it back. I would see a doctor so they can listen to your lungs, perhaps do a culture and perhaps give you an antibiotic. They may want to check your immune system to see if you are low in white blood cells or antibodies.  They can do that with a blood test. If it isn't truely walking pneumonia and it is an allergy related it wouldn't help to throw things away either. Do you have a low grade fever and dry cough? Are you very tired?  It could be something else. They to run some tests on you to rule out other bacterial infections and perhaps viral or even fungal. Let me know if you have any other questions.

mkh9
I just wanted to add this to my watchlist.
take care,
mkh9
I went to the Dr. both times. They did a blood test and said it is bacterial mychoplasma walking pneumonia.  Both times an antibiotic was prescribed.  It was just really hard to shake four months ago and I'm afraid that this time it's going to be hard to shake again. Just wanted to make sure I am doing everything right. Not a smoker. Don't have asthma, nothing like that. I was told this is something you catch from others that are sick with mychoplasma by being near them when they sneeze or cough.
Hi I am surprised , as you probably are, that you have recurred with M. pneumo so soon. I'm thinking either you relapsed and did too much or the antibiotic didn't really knock it out. Sometimes antibiotics can work as a bacteriostatic instead of bacteriocidal meaning they only knock down the organsim and don't kill it entirely.  I assume you took your entire prescription too?   What antibiotic did they have you on? You may need a stronger one as the organism may be resistant to that antibiotic or perhaps you need to have your immune system checked. M. pneumo is hard to get rid of. It usually does take months. I am so sorry that you got this and are getting it again. It is also possible you got another secondary organsism. I am a microbiologist and when I was working in the lab I got a bad flu followed by a secondary infection with both M. pneumo and C. pneumo. I know because I did a molecular test (PCR) on myself. The doctor gave me an antibiotic and it took 4 months to go away. I felt like I had a broken rib but it wasn't. I have had this several times myself. Usually, you have to take a cough syrup that makes you cough and breath in steam either in the shower or over a hot bowl and apply Vicks methol near your nose and cough it out to open up your lungs. I don't know what else to say here. Get lots of rest.  I haven't had it since because everytime I get a bad cough or flu at the end of the illness I take that cough syrup with Guyac (not sure of the spelling sorry) but Robitussin has it.  
Let me know how you do.
take care,
mkh9