General Health Community
help to understand hospital procedures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

help to understand hospital procedures

My brother has been in the hospital, for almost a month now. We took him to the hospital because he was complaining about a stomachache. He has had heart and back surgery in the past. The doctors found some food particles stuck in his intestine and did a surgery (anastomosis?) on him. When he got out of surgery, he was actively participating in  conversations, reading the newspaper, and even playing crossword puzzle with his grandchildren. Through these days my brother was being given morphine for pain. We noticed on the third day that he was always asleep, When we asked the nurse why, we were informed that the pain killer puts him to sleep. My brother did not show any improvement during the next days, he seemed to be asleep at all times. The following week he went through a very bad diarrhea which caused him to be so dehydrated.To cut this writing short, my brother is still in the hopital showing worse conditions everyday. The doctors started saying that he has a liver, kidney, and pancreas failure. They also added that his heart is not functioning normally. Our family is so downhearted with this unbelievable developments. How do we know that the doctors are not making a mistake on their prescribed midications and procedures. There are so many doctors looking after him. We were told that he may not live and he has a 50/50 chance of survival. The hospital staff is so busy that they seem to have no time to speak to us. Don't we have the right to know every detail about my brother's condition? Please advise us where and who should we speak to in the hospital to help us understand what's going on with my brother.