hiccups
i get hiccups all the time all most every day. sometimes every few days.  they are loud i cant make them quiet.  should i get these checked.  any clue why i could be getting these? please let me know thanks
Hello ma,am,
The hiccup is an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm.Involuntary means you cannot exercise control over it. The sudden rush of air into the lungs causes the epiglottis, a flap of cartilage that covers the windpipe while swallowing, to close, creating the “hic” sound.Hiccups are caused by pressure to the phrenic nerve, which is the motor nerve which supplies the diaphragm-the contractions of which causes hiccups. Hiccups can also be caused by certain kidney disease which can cause specific electrolytes in the blood to elevate.It could also be due to some lesion/growth applying pressure on the phrenic nerve.Please do visit your local doctor and get it investigated.It may turn out not to be serious at all but nevertheless should be checked out.