how bad does a swing shift affect health?
Hello, I work mon-fri 5am-5pm one week and 5pm-5am the next, rotating every monday. I also do rigorous physical exercise throughout the weekdays due to my proffesional mixed martial arts passion. How bad is this to my health in the long run? The only time i feel exausted is the beginning of the weeks when im trying to adjust.
It is a complete absolute disaster. A recipe for complete physical breakdown. Your circadian rhythyms are complete upset. Unless, of course, you are able to catch some sleep on the night tours. If you are in a police or fire department, the union contracts often call for such absurd arrangements. You don't have much choice. I worked nights, all night long, for years and felt great. The intermixing of night and day tours, however, proved to be a big problem. Exercise will not alter your circadian rhythym.