General Health Community
hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

hypothyroidism

I have many many symptoms of hypothyroidism - mother is hypothyroid also, but all my GP testing comes back as normal.  My TSH is 1.2 and my free T4 is 13 thats all I know for now but have asked GP to forward the blood test results to me.  She said my iron was a little low and to take supplements it was 18.  Could I still be hypothyroid - can anyone help as I am exhausted.  Thank you
Yes, you could have hypothyroidism. The tests you need to ask for along with TSH, which you already had, are. FT4, FT4 and antibodies. You need to have both Frees tested. FT3 is very important and alot of Drs just don't do this test. Sometimes even if your with in normal lab ranges you can still be hypo. The best thing to do is find a Dr that will not go by just your labs but by your symptoms too. What symptoms are you having?  Remar
Hi thanks I had the FreeT4 that was 13.  I will go back and get the other bloods done.  Symtoms (symptoms) are unbelievable tiredness even after a good nights sleep, weight gain, really cold a lot, hair loss, dry skin, sore dry itchy eyes, insomnia on and off, the list goes on
Yes, you do need to get your FT3 and antibodies checked. You have several symptoms of being hypo. The antibodies test will let you know if you have Hashimoto's. It's where the antibodies attack the thyroid. Not every one that is hypo with have this but it's best to get this test done along with the other ones. I see that your labs numbers are different than ours are here in the USA. We do have a thyroid forum here that you might want to post your question at. Some of the members there are from New Zealand will know what your FT4 number means.   Remar
If you are hypothyroid you will have a below normal temperature and be sensitive to cold. If you have trouble sleeping you may be short of iodine.
Your symptoms definitely sound like hypo to me. Another thing I would do is the basal thermometer test. First thing in the morning, before you get up, take your AM temp. You need to use a basal thermometer as this is the most accurate. Shake it down at night as you do not want to move in the morning before the test. Insert the thermometer under your arm and leave it there for 10 minutes. It should read between 97.6 to 98.6. If it is lower, the chances are good that you have hypo.

The blood tests are OK, but, they are only a "snapshot" of what is occuring at the moment, so many times, it can say you are NOT hypo when you are, the temperature test is very accurate.

I am very low and I take a low dose T3 thyroid, it is made by a compounding pharmacist, it really helps with my depression and my energy is great too.

Good luck.