General Health Community
light headed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

light headed

53 year old male,in the last 3 weeks a couple of times I started to get a bit light headed or dizzy at work. ( last time  today) its  been about 10 to 12 hours sence  I had anything to eat both times. after I eat something I am fine. ( I eat like this all the time) is this something to worry about or is it my eating habits. Thanks for your help.
Hi and sorry you are having this problem. Since it is associated with your not eating and then you get dizzy it sounds like a blood sugar problem. Dizzynes and light headedness can be caused by blood pressure issues and other things. I would see a GP and check your fasting blood sugar and blood pressure. They may want to do a glucose tolerance test to see if you are hypoglycemic or diabetic. It may just be that you get low in suger and other nutrients such as protein and get lite headed. It may be best to have 4-5 small meals a day and include a complete protein or combine say wheat with nuts or rice and beans or other combos that make up a complete protein. Hope this helps.
mkh9
mkh9
I agree, definitely a blood sugar problem.

If you're unable to eat a meal in between 10 to 12 hours, try bringing a candy bar or a snack of some sort with you to eat when you start to feel icky.

Bodies are constantly changing, and maybe yours trying to tell you something?
thanks for the answers, last time I went to my GP I had my blood work done (three months ago) my fasting blood sugar was 107, thats the first time its been that high, it usually  was running in the 90s. he said these was pre-diabetesand watch my diet. Could this be the problem. (do have high blood presure but is under control.) thanks again.
You are quite welcome. Diabetes can creap up on you. I think most people start feeling dizzy, and thirsty and maybe tired. Since you are pre-diabetic or borderline I wouldn't suggest any sugary foods including power bars because they will only make your problem worse. You should try to avoid sugar except for fruits and try to stay away from fruit juices as they are high in sugar even without added sugar. Best to follow up with your GP to get a good healthy diet. There are some wonderful new sweeteners that are natural. It is tough because diabetics or even pre-diabetics crave sugar. Good luck and try to keep fit as well. A good diet is better than getting worse, eh?
take care,
mkh9