General Health Community
lipitor vs. lovastatin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

lipitor vs. lovastatin

I have high LDL chololesterol and was told I have to take a statin drug.  One doctor gave me a RX for Lipitor 20 mg SID.  Another doctor gave me a RX for Lovastatin 20 mg SID.  
The Lipitor will cost me $130/mo., the Lovastatin will cost $5/mo.  Aside from the obvious cost difference, which RX is better?  The bottom line is that I really do not want to take a statin at all BUT if I have to take one, I want to take what will work the best at lowering my LDL levels.
Also, if I've been taking a statin for a few months, can I just stop taking it?  What happens if I stop?
The reason for these questions is that I have an injury which has prevented me from doing my normal usual exercise for past year so I've gained weight, etc.  I'm striving to take care of this problem and once it is resolved, I can resume my normal exercise and hopefully, this will again reduce my cholesterol to more normal levels.
Thank you for your help.
Have you tried going vegan? Only eating food that comes from plants, preferably fresh or minimally processed, and without added / processed fats? It's very easy once you know what to eat. There are lots of resources online. I can dig something up if you want.

One concern with cholesterol lowering drugs is that high cholesterol is a symptom of bad health. Lowering cholesterol artificially, without improving the health, might not have a lot of .... benefit for the health.
You can take the Lovastatin and still experience the same results that you would with Lipitor.  The key to lowering your cholesterol is increasing your exercise, and decreasing the fat in your diet.  Eat Cheerios and oatmeal, they can also help lower cholesterol.  Hope this helps!
I stopped taking statins because of serious side effects and found in books on nutrition that 500mg of vitamin c and nuts as they contain niacin which reduces cholesterol naturally.
I will not take statins, too many side effects, and really, there is no proof they really work. I would concentrate on more exercise, better diet, and a good, multi-vitamin and mineral, food grade preferably. Taking extra Niacin and Red Yeast rice will help too, and, you will not have the dangerous side-effects or high price.
How high are your LDL, HDL, Total Cholesterol and Triglycerides?    

I can't say one statin is "BETTER" than another.  You have to try one and see how it works for you.  

I would first try to lower the cholesterol with diet vs. popping statins to lower it.  If diet doesn't work then one can explore the possibility of taking a statin.    

Statins do not usually have to be titrated down before completely stopping, but ALWAYS consult your physician FIRST if you want to discontinue a medication that has been PRESCRIBED.  

How to Naturally Avoid and Remove Dangerous Arterial Plaque
The arteries are major blood vessels that the heart uses to pump blood from the heart to the rest of the body. Over time, arterial walls can become congested with a fatty substance known as plaque. When this happens to a severe point, the arteries may begin to harden and the blood flow can become compromised and ultimately result in a heart attack. Mainstream medicine's approach for treating plaque is to use drugs or surgery. However, there are natural ways to prevent and remove plaque.
As is the case when addressing many health concerns, exercise and diet can play major roles in avoiding and reducing plaque. Exercise is already known for many benefits to the body such as reducing risk factors for disease, better mental function, and weight control. Exercise can also improve your circulation which can help reduce plaque. According to the Mayo Clinic, you can do this by getting 30 to 60 minutes of exercise on most days of the week.
When it comes to diet, what you avoid is equally important as what you eat. Many foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol that can cause plaque to build up. Some examples include deep fried foods, foods that are high in trans fats, refined foods, and processed foods. Alcohol should also be avoided and red meat should be eaten in small portions.
Foods that are nutrient dense, high in fiber, low in sodium and low in saturated fat help avoid and reduce arterial plaque. Fiber helps block the intestinal absorption of cholesterol. It also you feel full longer which can result in less overall calorie consumption. Some examples of fiber-rich foods include whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that the body cannot make on its own. They can be found in supplements and also in foods like cold-water fish, walnuts, flax seeds and healthy oils such as olive oil. Fish oil supplements can lower blood pressure, reduce arterial plaque and they also lower triglycerides.
Niacin raises HDL, which is known as "good cholesterol". HDL cholesterol removes bad LDL cholesterol and arerial plaque. According to the FDA, "Niacin is the best agent known to raise blood levels of HDL, which helps remove cholesterol deposits from the artery walls." Naturally the FDA removed this quote from their website.
Vitamin C is crucial in repair and healing of the endothelial layer of cells inside of coronary and carotid arteries. When this layer is not maintained properly by the body, it can become the site for lesions that begin the process of atherosclerosis.
Coenzyme Q10 strengthens the veins and cleans out the accumulated plaque.
Digestive enzymes help break down the food our body does not digest. When taken on an empty stomach, they enter the bloodstream intact. As they circulate, they remove toxins and break down the fats responsible for plaque formation. Digestive enzymes in supplements and raw foods help prevent heart disease.
Serrapeptase is a particularly potent digestive enzyme when it comes to dissolving arterial plaque. It has the unique ability to digest non-living tissue that is a by-product of the healing response without harming living tissue. Serrapeptase is used to dissolve non-living tissues to include: scar tissue, fibrosis, blood clots, cysts and arterial plaque.
Some herbal remedies can also help fight plaque by improving circulation, reducing blood clots, lowering cholesterol and reducing stress. The herb hawthorn helps remove plaque blockages by widening blood vessels. Horsetail is rich in silica and can aid removal of plaque by strengthening artery walls.
Other helpful herbs include ashwagandha, ginger, garlic and guggul