loss of toe nail
About a month ago I stubbed my toe and due to always having my toe nails covered in polish I couldn't see that my nail had died. My last pedicure that I had when she removed the prior polish I saw that my toe nail had turned black. When I got home and looked at it some more it wasn't attached at all to the skin beneath my toe. I cut it all the way back as far as I could and now I am wondering, what do I do?  Will it grow back? How long will it take? Should I have a Dr. look at it?
The nail will usually grow back completely and normally, if not constrained by a tight shoe. You should think about wearing a soft canvas athletic type shoe. If you wear a tight shoe, it increases the chance of it coming back "ingrown". It is normal for the nail to turn black before it comes off.

As for how long? Think six months.

The people that are most knowledgeable in the area of ingrown toenailsare not M.D.'s but podiatrists. If you see anyone, those are the people.