General Health Community
low pulse & slightly elevated blood pressure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I went to the dr yesterday and my bp was 137/87 (bottom # im unsure) and pulse was 47. Is this normal or something to watch? I know the normal pulse is 60-80 and bp is best no higher than 140. Just curious if I need to keep an eye on it. They also had me go do blood tests.
forgot to say i am 38 and had a small heart murmur when i was born.
If you are not a trained athlete (hearts being in great shape in their case can have a much lower than normal rate), your heart rate is much too low and you should ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist.  You might see if your primary care physician would order a holter monitor ahead of your seeing a cardiologist.

Your blood pressure is a little elevated and if they/you get elevated readings at least a quarter of the time and  if they choose to treat that, they definitely would not want to give you a beta blocker, which can lower your heart rate!  
I just bought a heart monitor from walmart and will check when i settle down a bit. I do know my dad has had a pacer since i was a kid and mom has cholestoral issues so i know i have to be careful. But no im not an athelete.. unless you concider chading an autistic 9 yr old boy around.
I hope on Monday, you will be able to get the referral to the cardiologist & if it were me, I'd be sure and mention the family history you talked about here to him/her at the appointment!  Let me know how you come out?  If it's been more than a week when you learn something, please private message me.  I hope you get the help you need!    
There's a few factor's on the Low Pulse, Athletic, Small Frame, Medicines, or Etc...I know mine went that low when I was on some med's for my heart...But my hubby's is also that low,,So I dont think there's nothing to worry about..But Just keep a eye on it..And your blood pressue could get higher if your worrying about it, Like I would do..lol...So Dont check it too much...Maybe every few hours...Hope all is well :)
Just checked a well-respected medical reference website and small frame is not listed as a cause of bradycardia (slow heart rate).  

A heart rate of 47 for a non-athlete is cause for concern, though worry in any case is not good.  Monitoring to see if the number continues to have drops into/or maintains being in the 40s is a step in the right direction.  If it keeps being low like that, trying to determine the underlying cause with your physician is very important.  And a holter monitor would be a plus too.

Mamakat- how did your blood tests come out?

Gina- If your husband is not an athlete, he too should be having a doctor trying to determine the underlying cause if he has not already done so, in case it is being caused by something that needs treatment, such as hypothyroidism, heart electrical system damage, or an imbalance of his electrolytes.  
He was def very Athletic,,and doctor's checked him out and said that was fine for him, No problems with the heart or anything else from his Blood Work, Thank God...And what I meant about being small frame, is alot of my family that is Very Small Frame there Pulse is extremely Low, I really dont know if it relates or not, But the doctor said he does see a lot of this in small Women.
I havent yet got the results from the blood tests. with it being MLK day Im not gonna really worry about that till tomorrow or wed.
Gina- great that your husband's heart is in athletic condition!  What does your doctor mean by 'small women'?  I have a small boned frame and have a lot of tachycardia (rapid heart rate) myself.  Did he provide a website with background on a link between 'small women' and low pulse?  If he did, would you send me a private message with that link?  I'd never heard or read of that assertion before and would be interested to read about it.  

Mamakat- keep us posted when you find out?