mrs.
My lower left side hurts feels hot and when I am constipated, my lower back hurts and my leg is numb,
The colon curves on the left side of the body. When the bowel is full of stool for a prolonged period of time, it becomes inflammed and the surrounding nerves are triggered as well. Preventing constipation can be challenging for some people. The most important factor is water and fibre intake. If you take metamucil (fibre) without drinking adequate water then the fibre can become cemented in the bowel and make the problem worse. In addition, the longer stool sits in the lower bowel, the more water that is extracted, making the stool very hard and difficult to evacuate.Taking a stool softener like docusate or lactulose twice a day will draw more water into the bowel without causing cramping and diarrhea. Maintaining a regular bowel pattern is very important for overall health. Bowel obstructions are painful and in many cases life-threatening. Prevention is the best medicine in the case of chronic constipation. Hope this helps :o)