General Health Community
narcolepsy and immunizations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

narcolepsy and immunizations

has anyone heard what vaccination is reportedly linked to narcolepsy? i saw a show yesterday about narcolepsy and they mentioned a vaccination  was given to a 13 year old girl and 2 hours later she was experiencing cataplexly (a paralyzing catatonic state that is a symptom of narcolepsy) but they did not say which vaccination.
My daughter has just been diagnosed with Narcolepsy.  She is 12 years old and in February received polio/diptheria vaccine and hep A before going to mexico.  She then started having these symptoms.  she was given the HPV vaccine a couple of weeks ago and since her symptoms have seemed worse.
No one can tell us if its linked or not but I really strongly think so!
Answered a few years too late, sorry. I have had narcolepsy since age 14. It had a sudden onset. I remember the exact day and time that the first episode occured. I was told that it is rare in females. But, in my experience the other narcoleptics I've met are strictly female. My medical records from that time have been destroyed so I have no way of knowing if this coincided with a vaccination. Narcolepsy typically occurs in the early teens. I have lived with it for 46 years. I too, am curious if this condition was induced by a vaccine. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 44 years old. Prior to that my condition was dismissed. I was regarded by the medical profession as a typical hystrionic, hypocondriac, attention seeking female. Now, there is medication available. But, I feel that this condition is not taken seriously by the medical community, especially if the patient is a female.