punched in chest advice
hi i got punched in the chest, im 30 i think its just bruised, although cant really see any bruise,  its 48 hr on now, stil hurts a bit, when i cough or breath heavy.  I dont think its broken cos i managed to go out drinking all day yest for a friends 30th bday and went clubbing, went back to my girlfreinds and had more exercise... But how stupid was all that cos now i can barley move, any advice..... could i have broken a rib or just totaly overworked it and swollen the chest/rib area.? not sure if i should return to work as  i am a gardener?   pain is moderate, can move and breath as normal.
Sounds like you could have a bruised bone, certain areas, such as the chest, take awhile to heal if they have been hit, so give it more time to heal and don't over work yourself. If it continues after a few more days, I would see a doctor. If you do have to work, I would wear a rib belt or something to support the chest.
ok thks, i put ice on it yesterday and a small yellow bruise has appeared below the breast. Painful like a bruise when touched, if broken would i be alot more pain? Does however hurt a small amount when taking a very large breath or a sneeze.. should i be worried about this? the punch was on fri and now its tue ..
You might just want to have an x-ray taken of that area, better to be safe than sorry, the reason I say this is you say it hurts to sneeze or take a large breath, some bone bruises take a while to heal, but, to be safe, have it checked.  :-)
I think an x-ray is warranted to rule out any broken ribs and/or other internal injuries.  I wouldn't be doing any heavy lifting, etc. until you know from a physician what is going on.  Garndening for now, no if that is possible.