General Health Community
shooting pain travels up my neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

shooting pain travels up my neck

Hello, I am a 39 year old active female.  For the past 7 years or so.. I have been getting these really strange shooting pains .. on the left side starting at  the base of my neck that travel just about to ear level.  It feels like boiling water traveling up  and lasts for just a couple of seconds then they leave.  I get these about 3-4 times a year.  I just had one Monday and now.. my left eye has been twitching.  Any... clues..on where I should start?

SPARE ME A MINUTE TO READ THIS INFO AND IT MAY GIVE YOU BACK YOUR LIFE!!!!
I was a perfectly healthy on the go, stay at home mom, then in February 2010 I noticed while driving to pick up my teenagers I had neck pain and zaps in the back of my head.  They were like jolts of dizziness or unbalance and would freak me out to the point I would pull over immediately.  I tried to blow it off but it continued to happen every time I drove especially on hills and elevation changes.  Then I started to feel off balance during the day, like I was staggering like a drunk, but yet I don’t drink.  I couldn’t watch tv if there was a lot of motion on the show, simple tasks like washing dishes could jolt me.  Not vertigo, but as if I was falling. When I shopped at Meijers, the jolts would get extreme and I would be bracing myself because I felt as though I couldn’t find my foundation.  Then anxiety attacks would hit me strong.  I went to doctor after doctor, general practitioner, eye doctor, ent (had all the balance and hearing tests), neurologist (what a let down), I had brain mri, blood labs, neck catscan, eng, ekg and everything came back normal.  The doctors thought it might be anxiety.  Personally, I think that’s their way of explaining anything they can’t diagnose. The only thing that brought me relief was visiting a chiropractor.  His treatments relieved the pressure in my neck but that was only a temporary fix.  I felt like I could visit him every day.  Then a miracle happened!  I heard about visionspecialistsofbirmingham.org and finally found an answer I had been searching for ninety days later.  It’s all in the eyes.  My eyes have been uneven internally, therefore, fighting to see one image and not double vision.  The muscles straining for so long have exacerbated physical symptoms that have been unbearable.  By putting a prism into your glasses, it allows the eyes to see images the way they were intended.  I was fortunate enough to live in Michigan and sought these doctors out as soon as possible.  After many tests and measuring he equipped my glasses with prism and for the first time in three months I could walk a straight line.  Then the doctor attached a different prism and all my symptoms appeared, the severe neck pain, (where you can’t keep your hands from rubbing it), the jolts in my head, the dizziness, the anxiety.  My husband asked to give me some ibuprofen and the doctor said, “No, I’m sorry, but I need to see her at her worse in order to diagnose her.”
Shortly after, he returned to the first prism and immediately the pain and discomfort rapidly drained out of my body.  It was as though someone tapped my foot and as quick as it could travel it was gone.  Within fifteen minutes, I felt better than I had in ninety days.  I’m sold!!!  I’m eagerly awaiting to pick up my new glasses and get my life back!  Definitely go to their website and check out the testimonies.  Hope it helps.
Hi Lilhay80!

Whenever pain is described as shooting, it sounds like nerve involvement.  Have you ever had the structure that houses your nerve system checked?  It's quick, painless and will provide very good information as to why you have this shooting pain.  I would get this checked as soon as possible - don't wait for this problem to worsen. Seek a wellness chiropractor in your area.  If you would like the name of someone, you can message me.