General Health Community
stabbing pain while running
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

stabbing pain while running

I am an avid runner and am now TRYING to prepare for a marathon. While training last week I experienced severe stabbing pain underneath my right ribs, not on my side under my ribs but in my upper abs region. When I slowed the treadmill down and tried to catch my breath, the pain became more intense and the only way I was able to maintain breathing was with small breaths. It took about 15 minutes for my recovery and after about another 10 minutes I tried running again, this time it was not as painful. The next night the same thing happened, and consecutively for the next couple of workouts. Last night I tried the eliptical which I usually have no problem working out on for an hour or more but the pain became intense again after about 25 minutes. Today I tried to run on a track instead of a treadmill thinking that might help, but the pain became intense again after four laps. After my cardio workouts are over the pain goes away and I do not experience the pain while doing my weight resistance workouts. Any ideas or suggestions about what this might be? Thanks, Teri