General Health Community
stabbing pain while running

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

stabbing pain while running

I am an avid runner and am now TRYING to prepare for a marathon. While training last week I experienced severe stabbing pain underneath my right ribs, not on my side under my ribs but in my upper abs region. When I slowed the treadmill down and tried to catch my breath, the pain became more intense and the only way I was able to maintain breathing was with small breaths. It took about 15 minutes for my recovery and after about another 10 minutes I tried running again, this time it was not as painful. The next night the same thing happened, and consecutively for the next couple of workouts. Last night I tried the eliptical which I usually have no problem working out on for an hour or more but the pain became intense again after about 25 minutes. Today I tried to run on a track instead of a treadmill thinking that might help, but the pain became intense again after four laps. After my cardio workouts are over the pain goes away and I do not experience the pain while doing my weight resistance workouts. Any ideas or suggestions about what this might be? Thanks, Teri
Do you do any weight training or situps? This sounds like a tear in the oblique muscles just lateral to the rectus abdominus. This also could be costochondritis in the anterior rib on that side. Most of these injuries in atheletes come from overuse with weights or situps or crunches. I would stop these particular exercises for 3 to 4 weeks. A mild NSAID like advil should also help.