Aa
A
A
Close
steriods and diabetes
I am a diabetic on oral meds. Some months ago I started taking Symbicort inhaler for asthma.  Since then my blood sugar is soaring.
What can I do.
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Symbicort does not cause "soaring" blood sugars. Consult your enchronologist. You may need to go to an injectable insulin, such as Lantus.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I'm afraid I have to disagree with caregiver -- I wasn't quite sure myself about the Symbicort and blood sugar levels, so I did a little research and here is a link to what I found - it comes directly from the Symbicort website.

http://www.mysymbicort.com/asthma/index.aspx?source=20048&WT.mc_id=SYM_09_GOOPS_BHV&umedium=Paid%20Search&uadpub=Google&ucreative=Branded%20High%20Volume&ucampaign=Branded&pkw=symbicort

According to this, while it apparently is not one of the most common side effects, it IS a side effect that requires immediate attention, so please contact your doctor right away.

I hope you feel better soon!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1268057 tn?1462734870
Symbicort is a steroid-based inhaler, so it is possible to have increasing blood sugars.  I would consult the physician who prescribed it and have him/her change the medication asap.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Other input is always worthwhile. I appreciate it because two heads are always better than one.

I qualify my post to point out the difference between "slightly elevated" and "soaring".

I also concur that Symbicort can have serious side effets in a small universe of patients.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources