General Health Community
swollen lymph node in neck of my six year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I have a daughter who is six years old. Her doctor noticed a swollen lymph node on the left side of her neck (cervical, I believe) in Oct. She called us back in Nov. to conduct a check up. It was still there. She found out she had an ear infection and prescribe Cleocin. Also at that time she got a viral infection (over Thanksgiving).

We went for her two week check up after finishing up the antibiotics and it was still there. When she turns her neck a certain way it pops out. We went for an ultrasound. They have done blood work and the results have come back fine.

However, the doctor referred us to ped. surgeon. He said he wanted to conduct a biospy on the lymph node. She would be under general anesthia (spelled wrong).  I am scared. Is there another way to found out what's going on?

She has an uninary tract infection, strep, many viral infections, a lot of allergic reactions in her short life time. Could these have been signs of something more?

Should we go through with this biospy? Is there a rate risk for someone her age to go through something like this.

I fear the worst, because of all the links that pop up when I put in google "Swollen lymph nodes."

She is a healthy girl with a healthy appepiate. However, she also has something going on with her sinuses, cold, etc...

What could it be?
I would go through with the biopsy if it was my daughter. Because then you'll be ruling out things that are more serious. God created medicine for a reason. Personally if I was told my daughter had a swollen lymph node and needed to be further evaluate it. because heaven for bid if i didn't and she had something more serious that could have been prevented. I would never forgive myself. Just friendly support from another mom. You can do it. ALso the hospital has great staff that can support you through this scary time too.

Dianna
I would do the biopsy if it were my child.  Don't just let the docs tell you nothing is wrong.  If you feel something is wrong keep pursuing it.  My 5 yr old nephew was diagnosed with Large T cell non-hodgkins lymphoma 2 years ago.  His parents noticed he was not feeling well and took him to the dr.  The docs told them he was fine just had the flu.  But they knew it was something more.  They took him to The University of Iowa Hospital and they started doing more tests on him.  His blood tests came back fine and other tests were normal as well.  But he still had night fevers, sore throat, cough, and loss of appetite.  Not to mention a swollen lymph node in his neck.  

After pressure for more tests from his parents, they discovered it was Large T cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  He underwent chemo and radation and is now a healthy active 5 year old.  

By no means am I a Dr. but this is just one way to let you know, don't stop pursuing a problem just because your dr. tells you he thinks everything is fine.  

Hopefully you get great news with a biopsy of her lymph node.  

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your input and support. My husband and I are still discussing and weighing the effects of the biospy.

Again many thanks,

Mom4love
My daughter who is 7 has the same thing, four different doctors said she's fine just an infection.Could you tell me what you found out about your daughter