General Health Community
treatment for boiling water burn on child's leg?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Today at a neighbors, my daughter spilled a cup of boiling tea on her thigh. The red area covers across her leg, and around the back slightly, slightly less than the size of my hand, not as wide all over. There are several blisters, the largest approx 2", the other the size of a quarter, the next a nickle and then tiny ones. The two largest have opened. We talked to a friend who is an ER nurse as well as our doctor over the phone and are following their reccomendations to first put cold water on it, then a cold wet cloth, now dry gauze with antibiotic ointment. We gave her motrin for pain and she seems more comfortable but it still hurts to walk and looks terrible. I am looking for as much information as I can, to make sure I am treating this properly and I am concerned about scarring. Anyone have advice? I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
J

This discussion is related to sarah.
Ok, I never did get any info here, but we have been to the doctor twice now, so maybe sometime in the future this post will help someone else, so I am sharing our information.
First of all, it is second degree burns. I have learned that it takes 2 seconds at 150 degrees to burn a child, 6 seconds at 140, and 2 minutes at 125. So all I know is that water was HOT! We were told to wash it with sterile water, keep it MOIST, do not let it dry out!!!  We put non-stick gauze pads and wrapped it up on day 2. Make sure it is the non-stick kind...very important. We had prescription Silvertine burn cream and are on an oral antibiotic. Today, we washed the burns with sterile water, and the doctor applied plastic waterproof bandages over all of it to trap in the stuff that is oozing, apparently it is good for skin growth. We keep this on for 2 or 3 days. Then we will see how it is going.
There WILL be scarring, pigment loss. So. NO SUN exposure at all this summer, and laser treatments down the road.

I hope this helps someone sometime.
Wow, that sounds so  painful.  Good info to have.
I just read your post today. I hope your daughter is feeling better; I know how painful burns can be (since I had something similar happen to my arm).
I found that if you keep your prescribed cream in the  refrigerator, that will help with the pain as well.
Anyway, thanks for sharing that useful information. I'm sure many will find that helpful.
~valerie
Pan of boiling water spilled over my leg, phoned doctors told to go to hospital, went to hospital told nothing they can do....might get infection and to put vasline on.......Leg in terrible state......seeing doctor on medication, very hard to walk, will have a mark left.
Go back to the ER they will indeed help you , go in and ask for help ASAP