very low iron
i have been diagnosed with an iron count of 4. my physician is having me get iron shots every 3 weeks. i have been told that a normal level for women is 60-150. is this correct? my level is now 9, however it has taken 5 months to get up there. is this common for it to be this low, as well as take that long to rise? i am severely fatigued most of the time. my B12's are great, and we are awaiting thyroid results, plus a whole bunch of other tests. please tell me if i should be more concerned with this level?  thanks so much
sammybeariam
I am concerned you are receiving "iron shots", which appear absolutely pointless, except as a means to generate physician revenue. Iron is easily absorbed in the gut. I might but a first shot if the situation was an emergency, but dietary supplements should do the job. Ask your physician what your hematocrit is. A low hematocrit is often the cause of the fatigue.