General Surgery Community
35 year old surgical scar has reopened

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

35 year old surgical scar has reopened

I had a (vertical) C-Section 35 years ago.  Abaout a month ago it started to itch around the scar area, then it slowly started opening up.  An inch long part of it is now opened and there is occasionally a little bit of a clear to milky yellow discharge.  It did this about 5 years ago, but it healed up fairly quickly.
The area around the scar is a little bit red, but it is not hot.  It's not getting any worse, but it's not getting better either.  Why would a 35 year old scar reopen like this?
Wow...........that's a new one for me! I had two sections about 30 years ago, bikini cut. If the scars began to open up and ooze stuff now, I know I'd be freaked. I would definitely recommend  you see your OB/GYN as soon as possible. Whatever is causing this is to happen is not right and you sure don't want it to become infected.
I can't even begin to guess why this may be happening after such a long time. Did you injure the area 5 years which could possibly have torn some of the scar tissue.......made it weaker, maybe? I wonder if there may be a hernia pushing on this area?
Please see your doctor and I sure hope you let us know what they say. As a fellow section mom, I'm VERY curious!
I wish you the best
Peace
Greenlydia
I asked my doctor, he didn't know why either, except he said it might be because I have eczema and the eczema started it.  I started using a small amount of my eczema cream and It has healed up again now.
Wow as well, I have never heard of this either.