Airway tube in PACU?
I recently had day surgery and I remember waking up with a tube in my mouth that the nurses removed while my eyes were still closed (I had eye surgery).  I think the tube was relatively short though  Was that the breathing tube or something else? I always thought they removed it before you woke up?  I had that tube in my mouth and then a mask over it. Now I'm curious if I had some breathing difficulties during surgery. Thanks.
Hello ubmuaer,
I am an ICU nurse and wonder if that was a breathing tube or maybe just a bite block we use keep a person's tongue from blocking their airway. I'm not sure what kind of anesthesia they use for eye surgery. Regardless, don't worry at all about this. It sounds as though this was just routine care we provide to someone waking up from anesthesia. The doctor would not have discharged you had he not felt you were ready. Physicians use specific guidelines to judge whether someone is safe to home to care for themselves.

I hope this helps you feel better. i wouldn't give it a second thought ifmit were me :)

Best wishes.
Thanks so much Midijane.  I had eye muscle surgery, so it was general anesthesia b/c all the muscles can't move.