Ileus after c-section: Concerned if have a 2nd child
Year before I got pregnant and throughout pregnancy suffered from terrible GERD in which LES muscle was weakened. Food & beverage contents would "sit" in my throat and cause pressure and gagging. Had other pregnancy complications involving unexplained urinary retention which resolved on its own.

Had c-section to have first child-2 days later suffered ileus of the bowel. Was violently sick and throwing up, unable to keep anything down. Given NG tube for two days and X rayed with dyes pushed through tube. No mechanical obstruction. Waited until pressure (very painful) from stuff inserted through tube moved through. BM comenced after and next day, 3 days later was sent home. Still have IBS related symptoms, always have my enitre life.

Questions:

1. Does the IBS predispose me for getting this condition again? Its my understanding ileus is quite rare, 1% of all c-sections. How likely is it I will get it a 2nd time for another c-section?

2. Have you EVER heard of a patient (OB/Gyn) in a hospital dying from unresolved ileus? Trying to assess my risk if I chose to have a 2nd child. OB recommending I just wait a little longer than others (2 yrs at least) to try for a 2nd.

Some literature I have found in trying to research says that paralytic ileus can be fatal. So scared...