General Surgery Community
Lisinopril and surgery

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Lisinopril and surgery

I recently had FESS done (sinus surgery).  The doctor's couldn't do as much because of excessive bleeding.  I was tested after the surgery but my blood was fine.  Now my question is could my blood pressure medication (Lisinopril) have caused the blood thinning or excessive bleeding?   I take my med at night so I didn't take it the night before.  Could it have still been in my system and caused this?  Thanks for any help.
Star,
Lisinopril is not a blood thinner, even though it is used to treat high blood pressure. I use to take Lisinopril for my blood pressure but I got tired of taking it so I quite. Some of it might of been in your system but it does not thin your blood so that would be ruled out. If anything I would have to say it was just because of having sinus surgery. My oldest daughter has had I think 4 sinus surgeries, and I can remember her nose bleeding allot.
Not at all. ACE inhibitors the class to which lisinopril belong don't cause bleeding tendency. What other medications do you take? Have you had any bleeding problems before? Is there any bleeding problems that run in your family?
No bleeding problems before or in my family.  It looks like I'm going to have another FESS in March.  He wants me to wait until I'm healed from the last one.  My doctor says that now we know I don't have a blood problem then they have other ways of aggressively dealing with the excessive bleeding.  They couldn't do as much as they wanted because of the bleeding last time.  

Thanks for the responses.  I'm trying to get off of Lisinopril (I don't much like it) and off any BP meds.
You certailny have to follow up your blood pressure issue with your primary care physician who can switch you to another blood pressure medications.