General Surgery Community
Surgical Clip Migration Near Urethra

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Surgical Clip Migration Near Urethra

I had my gall bladder removed (laparoscopic cholecystectomy) 10 years ago at the age of 27. I recently had a string of UTIs and left lower intermittent pain. I assumed the pain was related to ovulation. I had a CT scan that indicated a surgical clip from my surgery had migrated. It is lodged next to my urethra, but is not interfering with the passage of urine, nor is it impacting my bladder. The urologist examined my bladder (Cystoscopy) and was of the opinion it functioned properly. He does not recommend doing anything about the clip, indicating that its placement is unrelated to the UTI's I'm having. It does worry me to have this clip sitting there where it shouldn't be, and I do still have unexplained intermittent pain that radiates to my back, but typically goes away within 24 hours. Also, if it migrated from the liver where it was originally placed, all the way down to my bladder area, where else will it go? Can it cause damage? Should I seek a second opinion?