Swelling After Craniotomy
About 3 1/2 weeks ago I had a craniotomy to remove a 3 cm. meningioma in the right temporal region. I am still hving swelling of my right temple and around my eye. How long will this last? How long before the bone gap fills in around the skull flap?
  Ok I have a few questions. Swelling is normal, but usually is worst 2-3 days after the procedure and lasts up to a week or a week and a half then begins to get better.  My question is was there a drainage device implanted to help any fluid escape?  Also did you have stitches or staples removed? How long did you wear a bandage and is the area itchy and red?
   As for the bone gap I am unsure if it will fill in or get any better without some sort of cosmetic help.  Don't quote me on that because I am not sure, Just a guess.
No drainage device. The sutures were removed 8 days after surgery and I was never bandaged. The swelling seems to improve some with light activity. No redness or itching,
  Well that might explain why there is still quite a bit of swelling. Lack of a drainage device is allowing fluid to become trapped between the tissues. The light activity might be allowing some of it to drain away. So as long as you're not over doing it I would continue with some light activity. Also maybe try bandaging it at night to compress it some to keep the fluid from returning .. unless a doctor has other wise specified.   If its not red and itchy then there is no sign of infection which is good news. It all sounds benign. I hope I was of some help or at least put you at ease. Good luck!! Sorry I cannot help more.
Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!