General Surgery Community
chances of having second gastroschisis ???

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

hi i  am a 33 year old mum of two, my second child was born with gastroschisis in 1996, although that was a very stressful and worrying time and after his birth was very touch and go for a few months no-one would ever know now that he was so poorly when he was born.

i have recently found out that i am pregnant, 13 weeks, and to say i am anxious and worried would be an understatement !

i have researched and have only been able to come up with lots of different opinions,
i need to know so i can ready myself what are the risks of having another baby with gastroschisis ???

some are saying that it is 1 in 17 families have a recurrence of the disorder ... is this true

i have also read that after recent research that the risk is much higher than first thought some families have had 3 babies with gastroschisis !

please help i dont want to just be reasurred ... i need to know so i can prepare myself and my family for anything that could happen

thank you
angelina x