General Surgery Community
ganglion cyst

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

ganglion cyst

is it ok that my doctor uses horizontal incision for the removal of my volar ganglion cyst? and am i good to write after the surgery?
I think it takes a couple of weeks to be able to use the hand after the surgery. You will probably be wearing a brace and have stiches for two weeks. After that is should be ok as tolerated. I'm not sure what is volar? My husband has a ganglion cyst on the radial side of the wrist below the thumb. They will make a verticle incision I believe or along the direction of the wrist from thumb downwards if that makes sense . I guess I would ask the doc.
Perhaps you just made a typo on your age, or maybe it was meant as a joke, but often times, age can make a huge difference in the advice given for surgery.

I have had two surgeries for ganglion cysts on my left wrist, about 1/2 inch above where the wrist bends. The doctor made horizontal incisions both times, and they are approximately 2 inches long. Both times I was put in a half cast..........hard on the top over the incision and a brace that kept my wrist and hand straight. I could wiggle my fingers, but I sure wasn't able to write. But I couldn't for months before the surgery either. I had the cast on for 2 weeks but had to use the brace for about 3 more weeks. Considering how really minimally invasive the surgery was, the recovery period was quite long. It's a very vulnerable area as any over-extension of the wrist can result in tears of the healing tissue.

I don't know what "volar" means, so I'm not sure which is the better type of incision for that type of cyst. It's something you need to discuss with your surgeon.

As far as being "good to write" after the surgery, if you mean immediately after the surgery, I'm guessing not. But perhaps a "volar" cyst is less complicted.........perhaps more? Will you eventually be able to write again, of course.

These questions should have been answered by your doctor at the time surgery was recommended.
Good luck
Greenlydia