General Surgery Community
inguinal hernia surgery and new lump

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

inguinal hernia surgery and new lump

I underwent surgery today for a right inguinal henia repair.  My original post from Oct. 11,2010  as follows               :Hi. I am a 49 y/o female ,Several weeks ago I noticed a soft movable lump in my right groin area.  I have a history of a right inguinal hernia which was repaired appx. 27 years ago.  My physician thought it not to be a recurring hernia but rather a enlarged lymph node and placed me on antibiotics and ordered a Ultrasound of the right groin.   The ultrasound suggested it to be a complex cyst.  I was  then referred to a surgeon  who  also thought it to be a  enlarged lymph node and ordered a CT of the abdomen and Pelvis w and w/o contrast.  The CT describes the area as a ovoid fluid collection and fatty density w/o significant enhancement which may represent a right inguinal hernia with free fluid.  It further states the fatty density is of unknown etiology but may represent minimal herniated fat or less likely a lymph node.  It continues to note that there is no evidence for significant lymphadenapathy within the pelvis or abdomen.  The surgeon did  his own in office F/U ultrasound and he states it is a "lipoma of the cord, therefore represents a recurring hernia" and is recommending surgery.  Can you tell me what test is more accurate and what you think this lump might be............. I was advised to refer to obtain a 2nd opinion, I did,  the 2nd surgeon concurred with the first that this was a recurring hernia....................BACK TO TODAY..
............................Post procedure the surgeon told my husband that in addition to the hernia   he also found a a hard area that he removed and sent  to pathology, It will be  bout a week before I get results at my f/u appt.  Any ideas of some of the thing this lump might be.  Thanks