inguinal hernia surgery and new lump
  I underwent surgery today for a right inguinal henia repair.  My original post from Oct. 11,2010  as follows               :Hi. I am a 49 y/o female ,Several weeks ago I noticed a soft movable lump in my right groin area.  I have a history of a right inguinal hernia which was repaired appx. 27 years ago.  My physician thought it not to be a recurring hernia but rather a enlarged lymph node and placed me on antibiotics and ordered a Ultrasound of the right groin.   The ultrasound suggested it to be a complex cyst.  I was  then referred to a surgeon  who  also thought it to be a  enlarged lymph node and ordered a CT of the abdomen and Pelvis w and w/o contrast.  The CT describes the area as a ovoid fluid collection and fatty density w/o significant enhancement which may represent a right inguinal hernia with free fluid.  It further states the fatty density is of unknown etiology but may represent minimal herniated fat or less likely a lymph node.  It continues to note that there is no evidence for significant lymphadenapathy within the pelvis or abdomen.  The surgeon did  his own in office F/U ultrasound and he states it is a "lipoma of the cord, therefore represents a recurring hernia" and is recommending surgery.  Can you tell me what test is more accurate and what you think this lump might be............. I was advised to refer to obtain a 2nd opinion, I did,  the 2nd surgeon concurred with the first that this was a recurring hernia....................BACK TO TODAY..
............................Post procedure the surgeon told my husband that in addition to the hernia   he also found a a hard area that he removed and sent  to pathology, It will be  bout a week before I get results at my f/u appt.  Any ideas of some of the thing this lump might be.  Thanks