General Surgery Community
variocele repair question

This is a support forum for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

variocele repair question

My 17 year old son has a variocele (grade 3). He has had an ultrasound and been to a local urologist, who was not helpful or sympathetic. Will surgery repair the variocele (discomfort/aching/physical appearance)? We have a phone consult today with Dr. Turek (California). The variocele is on the left. We need advice (and hope for success).
Thank you,
Son's mom
  • my son came to me (1 replies):
    My 11yr old son came to me tonight and asked me to look ...[more]
  • Scared-Help (2 replies):
    Hello everyone, I'm feeling pain in my right testes afte...[more]
  • attacked (11 replies):
    last week myself and my husband were coming home from my...[more]
  • Ms (4 replies):
    My 20 year old son lies about everything. Also he very ...[more]
  • my son came to me.... (5 replies):
    My son just turned 11 and last night he came to me with ...[more]
My 16 year old just had a repair in May. The surgery took about 2 1/2 hrs. and after 2 weeks rest he is back to normal activities. He had a grade 3-4 variocele. The surgery is elective so they like to wait. I chose not to wait till my sons testicle started to shrink etc. (you may have to request to have it fixed & definitely repair while he has insurance (before he's not covered by yours) My son plays sports and the pressure of lifting weights was uncomfortable and he was in pain. He says he still can feel the veins but hey have shrunk drastically and his testicle is now closer to normal size. Hope this helps.
Thanks. My son has been anxious and wants to get something done right away. We spoke with Dr. Turek, who quickly said he was highly sought after by the rich and famous. We're neither... He did guess my son was tall, slender and athletic and said he used microscopic surgery without cutting into muscle. Our family doctor is researching and will speak to a pediatric urologist in this area and will recommend someone. I hope your son continues to do well. The urologist we saw first seemed like he was in a hurry, was too blunt and indicated he'd be just as well to just "live with it." I hope we find a highly qualified urologist who cares about happens to a sensitive teenager. Thanks again for sharing information on a subject most don't want to talk about.