Aa
A
A
Close
variocele repair question
My 17 year old son has a variocele (grade 3). He has had an ultrasound and been to a local urologist, who was not helpful or sympathetic. Will surgery repair the variocele (discomfort/aching/physical appearance)? We have a phone consult today with Dr. Turek (California). The variocele is on the left. We need advice (and hope for success).
Thank you,
Son's mom
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1339997 tn?1276345377
My 16 year old just had a repair in May. The surgery took about 2 1/2 hrs. and after 2 weeks rest he is back to normal activities. He had a grade 3-4 variocele. The surgery is elective so they like to wait. I chose not to wait till my sons testicle started to shrink etc. (you may have to request to have it fixed & definitely repair while he has insurance (before he's not covered by yours) My son plays sports and the pressure of lifting weights was uncomfortable and he was in pain. He says he still can feel the veins but hey have shrunk drastically and his testicle is now closer to normal size. Hope this helps.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thanks. My son has been anxious and wants to get something done right away. We spoke with Dr. Turek, who quickly said he was highly sought after by the rich and famous. We're neither... He did guess my son was tall, slender and athletic and said he used microscopic surgery without cutting into muscle. Our family doctor is researching and will speak to a pediatric urologist in this area and will recommend someone. I hope your son continues to do well. The urologist we saw first seemed like he was in a hurry, was too blunt and indicated he'd be just as well to just "live with it." I hope we find a highly qualified urologist who cares about happens to a sensitive teenager. Thanks again for sharing information on a subject most don't want to talk about.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Surgery Community Resources