Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Additional Genetic Material
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Additional Genetic Material

I have two sons with multiple issues.  My youngest, age 6, is diagnosed with autism but was investigated for metabolic or genetic conditions due to his dramatic regression at just over one year of age as well as some soft signs of a genetic disorder such as his large, almond shaped eyes and larger head circumference.  The only finding was a carnitine and selenium deficiency which resolved with supplements.  My oldest son, now 9, developed normally and hit all of his developmental milestones.  Unfortunately, since the age of 5, he has been diagnosed with developmental delay, hypotonia, abnormal gait, tic disorder, scoliosis and a significant learning disability despite a normal IQ.  He has more than 6 cafe au lait spots as well as some other soft signs such as a larger head circumference, almond shaped eyes and tapered fingers.  My older son's recent microarray showed extra genetic material on one of his chromosomes that according to the doc they "have never seen before."  Now my husband, myself and my youngest will be undergoing testing to find out if we also have this defect.  It seems to me that with two children with issues that it isn't a benign finding, but I have no idea what to make of it or where to go with this information.  Any suggestions?
Thanks!