Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Aphasia Possible With Hemochromatosis?

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Aphasia Possible With Hemochromatosis?

I am a 35yr old patient with Hereditary Hemochroamtosis which was diagnosed in 2003.  I have undergone the treatment course and am under maintenance although a bit overdue at this time.  My family history basically consists of my father passing on with kidney failure caused by high blood pressure.  I too have high blood pressure which is being treated with in my opinion a very rigorous solution of the following:

Max dose of Lopressor
Max dose of Lisinopril
Norvasc 10mg
Catapres 0.1mg

Then for gout:
450mg Alopurinol daily

I bring those medications into light because I believe they are treating the symptoms caused by possible organ overload, but I cannot be too sure.  When I had my last phlebotomy, I was at a level of 55or so in my iron levels, this was about 1.5 years ago.  

Over the past few months, I have experience a very unusual phenomenon with my spelling, speech and reading ability along with a few other things:

Trouble reading some times, as if I have forgotten how to read words.  I recognize the letters, but more like being a little kid watching TV before he could read.  :) The same applies to spelling, for example - the other day I was writing gift, and spelled it as kift.  Very odd, but it sounded right to me until I re-read it.  This is not a 100% full time situation for me, rather comes on randomly and lasts anywhere from a few secs to a minute or two.  (In fact, it just happened to me when I was typing this, thank goodness for spell check in Firefox. )  When this happens to me, as well, my sense of touch gets very odd, as if I am touching something for the first time though I have touched it before.  

Sometimes, my sense of hearing gets stronger and then all sounds get louder and mix to be more of an overload in my mind.  

Could this be a possible thing with Aphasia or should I be looking at something else more deep seated?  I have just seen the doctor for an iron test and am waiting for results later this week.
We recommend that you speak with your doctor regarding your newer symptoms. You may also benefit from meeting with a neurologist and a medical geneticist. A medical geneticist can be found at the American College of Medical Genetics website. We wish you the best.
1 Comment
A related discussion, hemochromotosis was started.