Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Baby is diagnosed Trisomy 18 and I have gestaional diabetes. What shoul...

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Baby is diagnosed Trisomy 18 and I have gestaional diabetes. What should I do?

I am 41, have 2 healthy children, and pregnant with a baby boy with trisomy 18.  My screening came back 1/6 chance so I had the amnio which did confirm this.  I have been taking insulin since the first day.  I know this baby will probably die before labor or right after especially since it is a boy.  Does it benefit the baby to raise my blood sugar numbers up a bit to help the baby gain weight?  Does taking insulin make me gain weight?  Does knowing this change the way I have been taking care of my diabetes.  I have been checking my numbers several times a day and watch what I eat.  I know that controlling the diabetes is always better for my health.  
I have noticed that my numbers are very good at times which is surprising.  Is that becuase of the low hormone level that came out from the amnio test?  
Fetal growth is affected by both maternal health and fetal genetic make-up. Given the complexity of the pregnancy, we recommend that you meet with a perinatologist, a physician that specializes in the care of mom and baby in high risk pregnancies.

We also recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor who can answer questions about the management of Trisomy 18 and can help coordinate the specialists who will be involved in your child's care. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA.