Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Chances of having another baby with Trisomy 13
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chances of having another baby with Trisomy 13

my daughter was diagnosed with FT13 ten days after birth. I had several level 2 ultrasounds done, however the prognosis was adult polycystic kidney disease. I did get a second opinion and the same prognosis was indicated. The geneticist also saw a clubbed foot, but reassured me that this was in no way related to a syndrome.They told me an amnio wasn´t necessary because it was quite evident that this was what we were dealing with.

My daughter passed away 2 months and 15 days later. Oh, and she didn't have PKD. No cysts in her kidneys. Left completely normal and the right slightly larger. Which was hard to accept, in the first place, since neither one had a family history of it. Anyone can imagine how heartbreaking this was for our family. We weren´t prepared for it and to a certain extent I take responsibility for not being in control.

Question: I am 34 now and would like to try once more. I do have a healthy little 3 yr old and according to the karotype it was not inherited. What are my chances of having something similiar occur if I give birth at age 35/36? I'm currently taking folic acid, but is there something else I could do?

Thank you for any info you can provide me with.