DOWN SYNDROME
Iam the stepmother of a down syndrome[ 21cromosome ],his mother past away long before  I meet and married his  father ,he has 2 brothers who are concern about having kids . is dawn syndrme hereditary?  his IQ is about 35-40 .thank u
This is an important question, and I hope that this information helps your family.  Down syndrome is caused by an extra copy of a whole chromosome 21 or an extra copy of part of chromosome number 21. As you may know, Down syndrome causes cognitive disabilities and characteristic facial features. Some children with Down syndrome also have birth defects involving the heart or digestive system.

A genetic counselor and medical geneticist could help you to determine the cause of  Down syndrome in your stepson. The majority of Down syndrome does not run in families, but if his brothers want to learn about risks for any children that they may have, your stepson with Down syndrome would need testing first to answer this question. A medical geneticist could also help evaluate him and discuss any potential health concerns that he may have.

You can find a genetic counselor near you through the website of the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) and a medical geneticist can be found through the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG).