Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

I have three daughters aged 1,2 and 7.  They all have hypermobile joints (fingers, wrists, elbows, knees, ankles) the youngest seems to have the most lax joints, when washing her hands you can feel the movement of joints in her wrists and fingers (she also has tethered cord syndrome).  The eldest was suspected of having dyspraxia but on assessment her difficulties were put down to her hypermobility (she has no ankle reflex's, and a duplex kidney system also)  She uses adapted cultery and has a pencil gripper and a sit and move cushion.  All 3 have blue sclera.  They had an assessment together for connective tissue disorder (query EDS).  They have now been reffered to a clinical genetics clinic for further assessment.

My questions are:

What is the probability they have EDS?

If they do have this conditions will it have any long term effects on them?

What testing, if any, should I expect them to have?

Will a dx effect them if they ever have children during pregnancy?  and could they pass this on in a more severe form?

Is it uncommon for 3 siblings to have these characteristics?

My brother has 2 children his eldest is fine but his baby (5months) also has blue sclera, she is to young for us to know if she will also be hypermobile.  I have suspected POTS (positive tilt table test).

I thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to my post.

Kind Regards.

There are multiple genetic conditions that affect connective tissues. A medical geneticist will perform a physical exam on your children, review their personal histories and your family history in order to provide a more accurate risk assessment and diagnosis. In some cases, genetic testing is performed on blood samples to help classify the specific type or subtype of connective tissue disorder.

A specific diagnosis is necessary to answer to most of your questions, such as how variable are symptoms and what are the long term effects...what is the chance for your grandchildren to be affected..what is the chance for multiple family members to be affected with the same condition, etc. We wish you and your daughters the best.
Many thanks for your reply.

My daughters have been refered to clinical Genetics and we are just awaiting this appointment.

I will post here of the outcome.