Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
HH and High Triglycerides

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

HH and High Triglycerides

I am a 43 white female.  I tested as being homozygous for C282Y at age 37.  My ferritin was 1700 and within three months of a diagnosis of HH, I was diagnosed with diabetes.  The diabetes and iron are under control but I have just had a routine cholesterol test done and my trigs are 800! (tested twice to make sure it was correct).  My total cholesterol is 167.  HDL is 23 but the LDL couldn't be calculated due to the trigs.  Because nothing seems to be 'normal' or 'simple' with my health, I am curious if it could be yet another 'strange' thing that goes back to the HH.  I do NOT eat poorly. . . .and although my exercise is minimal, I am active.  And the last question. . . .with the combo of the diabetes and high trigs. . .what the heck does someone eat???    
First and foremost, we recommend that you meet with a cardiologist for evaluation. We also recommend that you meet with a medical geneticist, who can review your history, perform a physical exam and help establish if the cause of your elevated triglyceride levels are related to hemochromatosis or other genetics factors. A medical geneticist can be found at the American College of Medical Genetics website. We wish you the best.