Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
HI IM DOING A PAPPER ON PKU CAN YUH HELP ME I DONT REALLY NO ANYTHING B...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HI IM DOING A PAPPER ON PKU CAN YUH HELP ME I DONT REALLY NO ANYTHING BOUT IT

ANYTHING WILL HELP
Related Discussions
886824_tn?1253740254
Phenylketonuria, commonly called PKU, is a genetic condition in which the body can't process one of the building blocks of protein called phenylalanine (Phe). Our body can't make Phe, therefore, we must obtain it through food. Phe is essential in the production of another building block called tyrosine (Tyr).

If left untreated, PKU can damage the brain and cause severe mental retardation. The signs and symptoms of PKU vary from mild to severe.

The most severe type of PKU is called classic PKU. If untreated, symptoms may include:

- seizures
- developmental delay/mental retardation
- musty (or mousy) bodily odor
- eczema
- behavioral problems
- psychiatric disorders
- fairer skin and hair than other non-affected family members

Less severe types of PKU are called variant PKU and non-PKU hyperphenylalaninemia, and have a smaller risk of brain damage.

You can find more information on PKU at AccessDNA.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank