Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
HLA - B27 Allele

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

HLA - B27 Allele
Hello Doc,

i had joint pain(water on the knees, as doc told me) from last 4 weeks, and my treatement goes with Ortho Specialist. i got my DNA report today and it mentioned that

HLA-B27 Allele Present(Positive)

Doc told me it should be in Negative, so, can you please tell me what i do and it is curable. I am 24, and worried about it. Please do REPLY!!

Thanks,
Kamal
I hope that this information is helpful to you.  Having one copy of the HLA – B27 allele causes an increased risk to develop ankylosing spondylitis, a form of chronic inflammation of the spine and of particular joints in the spine.  It can also cause problems with the eyes called Iritis.   In addition to HLA-B27, there are most likely other genetic and environmental factors associated with this condition.   The chance of developing ankylosing spondylitis with one positive HLA B27 allele is 43%.  You should talk with your doctor about the results of the test.  It is important to keep in mind that most people with a copy of the HLA-B27 allele never go on to develop any symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis.  
Thanx for the informartion. really appriciable. my treatment going with Ortho Specialist (surgen too), and i am getting releife with his medicines. do i need to consult Reumathologis or continue wit h my Ortho Doc?