Identical twin: MS, APA, and preeclampsia
Cross-posted with the genetics community:

My identical twin has MS and also experienced multiple miscarriages due to antiphospholipid antibodies -- Antiphosphatidylethanolamine (PE).  I know identical twins are unlikely to show clinical signs of MS -- the chances are about 1 in 3.  But I'm about to undergo IVF and I'm now wondering:

1.  is there is a genetic component to the elevated antibodies?  Am I likely to also have the same problem?
2.  whether an autoimmune "flare-up" due to pregnancy could be something that would "trigger" MS in someone genetically susceptible (like an identical twin).
3.  whether, because she also experienced life-threatening pre-eclampsia during one of her pregnancies, if there is a genetic component to that condition as well (I gather there is not, from what I've read)

Just trying to gauge the risks and these questions involve very complicated areas to research....
Given the complex nature of your situation, we recommend that you meet with a
perinatologist (also called maternal fetal medicine physician) for a pre-conception consultation. A perinatologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and care of moms and unborn babies in high risk pregnancies. A perinatologist can be found at the Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine website.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.